So freaking cheap and easy. This Gnocchi recipe is amazing because it requires very few ingredients and is very versatile. The ingredients are inexpensive and the recipe can be scaled up and down to make more or less, depending on how many are eating. My sisters discovered gnocchi after they were living in Hungary and wanted to find budget friendly meals. Tomato, pesto, alfredo, gravy or white garlic sauce all taste amazing with this gnocchi.
2 medium potatoes or 3 small potatoes
2 cups flour
1 tbs. salt
1 tbs. (basil, parsley, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder)
- Peel potatoes and add to a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash.
- Combine 1 cup mashed potato, flour and egg in a large bowl. Knead together until dough forms a ball. Pull and roll small portions of the dough into long ropes. On a floured surface, cut ropes into half-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Drop in gnocchi and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until gnocchi have risen to the top; drain.
- (Optional) Heat a pan with oil and place the cooked gnocchi in the pan, rotating them and frying until golden brown on the outside.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.